Mamas — remember the first few weeks of dating your spouse? Where every date night was filled with excitement and anticipation…careful planning…no distractions… With Valentine’s day right around the corner, it is time to spice up date night and get some plans on the calendar.
I am not big on Valentine’s Day. In fact, we usually avoid the crowds during that particular weekend. However, we are very big believers in carving out regular, consistent date nights. It doesn’t have to be a super expensive date night to make it meaningful. In my opinion, paying for a babysitter is worth it. You and your spouse need a break — time to reconnect. And as much as you love your kids, they also need to see you two putting your marriage first. You are modeling the relationship that they will remember down the road when they start to date. (let’s move on…my boys are 6 and 4…no need to talk about them dating! Yikes.)
We love our city, and we love doing fun things together. Here are some of our favorites…not limited to any specific season!
- Ride Bikes. Our favorite is to ride bikes downtown to a fun restaurant — or in the summer, hit up the food trucks and a concert in Acacia Park (we have done this as early as March – Colorado weather is awesome!)
- Hiking. So many great spots: Palmer Park, Ute Valley Park, the Incline, Garden of the Gods. Get outside together, take in some beauty and pack a picnic!
- Fine Arts Center – check out some art.
- Manitou Springs Penny Arcade – have some fun with Skee ball and other games. Super inexpensive. While you are there, grab some treats and walk around Manitou Springs.
- Kimball’s Peak Three Theater – a different movie experience. Enjoy a glass of wine or beer with your movie.
- Escape Rooms (here is an example: Escape the Place – they have half price Thursday evenings) This is next on our list of date nights. Sounds like a fun, unique way to spend time. This would be great with a group of friends!
- Rock Climbing – City Rock A great place to take on a challenge of climbing the wall. Then cozy up to the bar or by the fireplace. They have yummy food and drinks available.
- Game night with friends – get several couples together (kid free of course) and pull out the games.
- Jump! Sky Zone is a newer Trampoline Park that boasts tons of fun if you are looking for something different.
Best Happy Hours
We love doing happy hour because we save money and we have plenty of time to get the kids to bed, even on a school night!
- Cowboy Star Restaurant – hands down, there is no one else in Colorado Springs that compares in my humble opinion! If you want incredible atmosphere, 5 star food and drinks at ridiculously great prices (1/2 off small bite dishes and drinks from 2 pm to 6 pm daily), you have to plan an afternoon date to Cowboy Star.
- The Rabbit Hole – The happy hour menu here is worth changing your date time a bit. I have always loved the charm of being hidden away underground in this funky space.
- The Wildgoose Meeting House – Cool. Yummy. Sometimes you can catch live music. This place has a really fun vibe if you want a chill night.
- Nosh – a tried and true favorite. The menu is always changing. Small portions so you can try many things. We love the outdoor patio in the summertime.
- The Hotel Bar (@The Broadmoor) – in the main building at the Broadmoor – grab a drink and some appetizers, cozy up by the outdoor fireplace, walk around the lake outside. Romance!
- Brewer’s Republic – if you like to taste Craft Beer, this is your spot. The selection is incredible and we love to sit and chat at the bar or in the comfy couches.
Unique (Delicious) Restaurants
- Odyssey Gastropub – Downtown fun. Unique decor. Bacon four different ways. Green Chile Cheese Fries. Enough said!
- Restaurant 1858 (Seven Falls) – a fun experience. Park at the Broadmoor (near The Golden Bee). The shuttle will take you to Seven Falls. Enjoy an evening walk up to the restaurant — absolutely stunning. The food at 1858 is Broadmoor quality at a middle of the road price. We had a quiet dining experience here.
- 503W – We have not been disappointed on our many stops here. The food has flair that you can’t find anywhere else in Colorado Springs. Delicious. My husband is impressed with the Craft Beer list!
- Brother Luck Street Eats – Chef Brother Luck is a master at creating some of the most unique tastes. He always comes out to chat with the customers too! A reasonably priced date night with flavors that are out of this world!
- The Golden Bee – Ragtime piano beginning at 7:30 PM and the sing along beginning at 9:30 PM nightly. Drink a yard of beer and proudly wear your own “Bee” that changes seasonally. Irish Pub food that is authentic!
I know this is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to date night ideas! Where are your favorite local spots to spend time with your love?